A cyclist was killed in Phoenix Friday night; this area is west of the airport and just north of I-17. The victim was later identified: “Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said 70-year-old Lorenzo Nevares was riding on 7th Avenue just north of Interstate 17 when he was struck around 8:30 p.m” [abc15]
The approx location: On 7th Avenue near Mojave Street, just north of I-17.
That two men were arrested on suspicion of aggravated DUI and leaving the scene of a fatality indicates, I guess, that police believe one of them was the driver that struck and killed the cyclist. Not many other details…
Case Lookup; Nicanor Fuentes-Adame, Case Number: S-0700-CR-2010115214 [case minutes] Defendant plead not guilty to all charges 04/07/2010: Manslaughter, Extreme DUI, hit-and-run w/death. In a deal, defendant pleads guilty to hit-and-run and other charges are dropped.
- 10/8/2010: Sentencing memo, 5 years probation suspended sentence. This is a class 3 felony.
- 8/8/2011: “VIOLATION OF PROBATION: GUILT ON NEW CHARGE… A determination of guilt having been made for this Defendant in Cause Number CR2011-138208-001, The Court finds Defendant has violated the conditions of probation previously imposed. ” (something to do with resisting arrest and drug paraphenalia).
- 9/18/2012: “The Defendant admits violation of probation for condition 16 “
- 2/1/2016: “The Court has received a Memo to the Court from Adult Probation advising that Defendant has had two speeding violations and has been cited for driving without a valid driver’s license within the past 6 months.”… “Defendant is admonished by the Court of potential consequences…” [so speeding and driving w/o a license isn’t a problem for the Court; his license should still be revoked due to the hit-and-run. Also see Linsk]
- 1/11/2017: Probation was revoked (violation condition 15A?) and was ordered incarcerated for 3.5 years on the hit-and-run.
The other guy mentioned in the news reports, Victor Popoca, Case number: CR-2010115215 did a plea deal on an aggravated DUI. Which also violated his parole from a previous incident. And he’s had other troubles including speeding+driving with alcohol underage. I’m not sure how or if any of this involves the death of Lorenzo Nevares.
Media Reports on the Incident
Man on bicycle killed in hit-and-run accident [link]
by Ofelia Madrid – Mar. 20, 2010 08:12 PM, The Arizona Republic
Phoenix police are asking for help in identifying a man riding a bicycle who was killed by a hit-and-run driver Friday night near 7th Avenue and Mohave Street.
The man is described as Hispanic, in his 50s, with short black hair, about 5-feet 11-inches tall, 160 pounds, wearing a red and orange shirt, blue work pants and black shoes, police said.
The man was riding a green mountain bike with a basket on the handlebars. The victim had just picked up fast food, and investigators believe he may have been heading home somewhere in the area, said Sgt. Trent Crump, a police spokesman.
Officers arrested Nicanor Fuentes-Adame, 21, and Victor Popoca, 22. Both men were arrested on suspicion of aggravated DUI and leaving the scene of a fatal collision. Detectives impounded a silver Saturn sedan, Crump said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Phoenix police at 602-262-6141 or Silent Witness at 480-948-6377
Phx incident 10000414014
Both units travelling south, narrative indicates that cyclist begins changing lanes in preparation to turn left, indicated as “crossing road” (should be “changing lanes”). DB says UnitAction:GOING_STRAIGHT_AHEAD..
Manner of collision:pedalcycle is inappropriate, but it’s not in the DB.
Driver positive for cocaine and estimated speed 57 in a 35. Hit and run.
ControlTypeDesc: none; DB has “OTHER” ??
In the DB, cyclist has: Violation1: DROVE_RODE_IN_OPPOSING_TRAFFIC_LANE which is not found anywhere in the report
FARS has it as
eBIKECTYPE: Motorist Overtaking - Other/ Unknown
So ADOT database is likely wrong for whatever reason.